Monday 16 December 2013

The double page spread text


The former leading band member of UK garage artist Artful Sinners, Callum Ruane, has released his first solo album ‘Intentions’. Many radio stations that have played songs off the album have received texts, tweets and more about the rise of ‘The Creep’.

Due to his success in the UK club scene and the charts, Jungle wanted to be the first magazine to get the exclusive on the upcoming artist.

In Callum’s early childhood he had a rough time growing up in a single parent home on a council estate in South London. Due to the fact that he never knew his father Callum didn’t have a male role model in his life apart from his Granddad Billy who he idolised throughout his childhood.

His Granddad was the one who supported Callum to go for a music career even though his mother was against it. Callum took his Granddad’s advice and joined the upcoming garage band Artful Sinners in 2008 where the group made a name for themselves with top tracks such as ‘Latch’ and ‘Stimulation’.  However as the band was preparing for the release of their second album, there was a fallout within the group between drummer Christen Stewart and mixture Martin Harrison, so that’s when Callum decided to take his destiny into his own hands and release himself from the self-confessed “immature group” and start a new solo career.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
So Callum you’ve come a long way since your departure from Artful Sinners haven’t you?

Indeed (chuckles to himself), I know I made the right choice as I felt it was the right time for me to move on. I felt like I was the only one who had ambition to push forward instead of being immature, I thought to myself ‘I love the music, these people love the fame’

That’s quite a harsh comment to make considering that was the band who gave you a platform don’t you think?

Don’t get me wrong Hollie, I have the upmost respect for my ex band members but I’m telling you the truth and I want my fans who read your magazine to understand that I left the band for them and to give them my passion through the music instead of giving a half-hearted production in an immature band.

So then, this new album, tell us about it.

‘Intentions’ is based on my tracks as they each have an intention to portray a story. MY passion for the music and what I’ve had to go through in order to get where I am today, and yes there is one or two creepy background stories to a couple of my songs (laughs as I roll my eyes). What do you expect I am ‘The Creep’ after all (winks) There are 15 tracks that tell my journey from the start, track 1, till my new beginning, track 15 , the early tracks are inspired by my late granddad who was my only supportive figure in my life so I’m dedicating my success with this album to him.

(LAUGHS, can you tell one of the creepy background stories then?)

Alright then but prepare yourself. Track 6 is called ‘Zoë’ featuring my pal on vocals Sam Smith, she was my best friend on my estate growing up as a kid, I used to play out every night, we would play football, listen to garage and house music together, we were soul mates. But one day she never came to school and I went straight to her house to check if she was ok, I knocked and knocked but no one answered so I peered through the letterbox and saw a human foot that was separate from the leg. I threw up but I knew I had to get in so I got my older brother too kick the door down. I’m not going to tell you the rest of the story as I don’t like to talk about it, you find out in the track anyway, but that night I lost my soul mate and that’s what inspired that song and my desire to make it in the music industry as Zoë would have wanted me to.

Oh wow, you’ve been through a lot haven’t you, and you’re only 23, it’s amazing how you still have the desire to succeed as most people would of broken down.

Yes but I’m not like other people, bad things that happen to me just give me a bigger drive to make it, I drawn inspiration from my experiences and in my opinion separates me from the rest.

Considering that you are a solo artist now, how different is your pre performance ritual compared to what it was like in the ‘Artful Sinners’?

Well in the band I used to get high a lot before a performance because of obvious peer pressure and I didn’t want to seem boring, but now I just prepare myself extremely thoroughly because when you are in a band if you make a mistake it can go unnoticed, but when you’re on your own it can be daunting so I just say a prayer and get on the stage.

I went to your live performance on the last arena of your tour in Birmingham’s O2 arena, how did you feel when you came off stage after such an energetic performance?

Well first off all I’d like to shout out to my Birmingham fans as they really do understand my music, I can always feel that the audience are on my wavelength every time I go there. I like to put on a show for them in Birmingham so after I come off stage I didn’t have energy to lift up a cup of tea I just fell onto the couch and slept for 15 hours, and the recovery was complete with a lovely brummies’ breakfast.

So ‘intentions’ has been released, have you got any surprises up your sleeve for the next UK tour?

Well let’s put it this way… ‘A Creep’ never tells his secrets (winks).

No comments:

Post a Comment