Thursday 28 November 2013

Main image photographs

Considering garage music artists are usually dj's or on the decks, I wanted my main image to be a solo garage artist in the environment of a club, I wanted to portray my artist as a mysterious character that would intrigue the reader. I wanted a picture to compliment and mould into my dark and light colour scheme for an easier effect on the eye which would make my magazine look professional. So I used a male model aged 17 Callum Ruane who is a fan of garage music but most importantly represents my audience in terms of style. I got Callum to dress in street wear ,the props used were a 5-panel hat and a white plain oversized t-shirt with a street wear brand on the front. No make up was used on Callums face as he is male but I used lighting effects with an iphone torch held on one side of the face too create a shadow effect on the close up of his face too emphasis that there is two sides too the artist and the album. I shot my photos in an old school music studio that had a window facing out into the hall ,so I pulled a projector screen in front of the window as the hall would disrupt my mise enscene, I used disc mixers for extra authenticity and headphones too make it look like a live club session. The green eye of callum will compliment the green colour of my anchorage text, giving a further creepier and authentic look. My anchorage text will be the name of the artist ;

 
 
My magazines house colours are black and white so the light and dark effect of the lighting and the white top on the dark background will melt into the front page excellently.
the background of this photo could of been improved as the light could of been a different colour as I had the prop of red and blue transparent paper that would of given an extra edge, but after consideration I think the main focus is on my artists face so I don't want anything to take the attention away from that and also using a different coloured background light would of disrupted the colour scheme of dark and light contrasts.
The direct address of the eye contact makes the reader feel uneasy as the artist is not portraying a relaxed, comforting look, he looks like he means business.
As 'The creep' has a reputation for being creepy this image doesn't harm that representation as it is a very scary image that will almost certainly capture the audiences attention.
However as I was cropping this image onto the front page of my magazine I noticed that I could increase the contrast of the image by 10% too completely allow the smooth transition between image and background of the magazine;
Although even though it looks smooth on the eye, in my opinion it looks too artificial and takes away the 'in the moment' edge with the editing, garage music is all about the raw emotion and by editing this already perfect image it takes away the authenticness of the artist.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment